Nick Diaz remains free on bail following an appearance in court Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Clark County (Nev.) district attorney’s office confirmed with MMA Fighting.
The prosecutor requested an increase in bail from $18,000 to $100,000 on the two charges of domestic battery, but Las Vegas Justice Court judge Amy Chelini denied that. Diaz made $18,000 bond after he was arrested last month.
Diaz, the popular UFC fighter, is being charged with domestic battery by strangulation — a felony — and misdemeanor domestic battery. He was not in court Tuesday, instead represented by attorney Ross Goodman. His next preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 10.
The victim, who says she was Diaz’s on-again-off-again girlfriend, told police that Diaz grabbed her by the head, slammed her down to the ground and later choked her following an argument at a Las Vegas residence on May 24. She was also injured when she fell onto the corner of a pool during a scuffle with Diaz that night. Police described her condition as “visibly in a large amount of pain and could not walk” when they arrived, per the arrest report.
The victim initially told police that Diaz threw her onto the corner of the pool, but then changed her story later, saying that Diaz was going to toss her into the pool, but she held onto him and fell onto the corner. She was taken to a hospital with a potentially broken hip as a result of that spill, as well as bruising on both legs, reddening of her neck and head and pain in her head, the report stated.
A request for comment from Goodman was not returned Tuesday.