The dust barely had time to settle in Zagreb, Croatia before Derrick Lewis moved on to his next challenge.
After smoking Gabriel Gonzaga with a devastating first-round knockout at UFC Fight Night 86, “The Black Beast” called out Roy Nelson for a battle between heavyweight sluggers to take place July 9 at UFC 200.
“It’s a fan-friendly fight,” Lewis said at Sunday’s post-fight press conference. “The fans are going to love it, and it’s going to be a really, really awesome fight for me and my career. And it won’t go to the judges, either.”
Lewis (15-4, 1 NC) and Nelson were in talks to fight earlier this year, before Lewis volunteered his services to replace the injured Ruslan Magomedov against Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86. The decision proved to be a wise one. Lewis scored a frightening knockout against Gonzaga, downing the Brazilian with a right hook in the closing seconds of the opening round.
The victory pushed Lewis’ current win streak to three straight. Afterward, Nelson took to Twitter to congratulate Lewis, while also referring to the 31-year-old as “my next opponent.”
Congrats to @ufc @Thebeast_ufc my next opponent https://t.co/Dlnjk3VT9J
— Roy Nelson (@roynelsonmma) April 10, 2016
Lewis said Sunday that although he hasn’t be offered anything definitive against Nelson by the UFC, he plans to make enough noise to force the issue.
“I haven’t heard anything yet,” Lewis said, laughing. “But I will get on his ass as soon as we leave here though. Twitter rants. Twitter war.”
If there was any lingering doubt, the victory over Gonzaga cemented Lewis as one of the most dangerous knockout artists in the heavyweight division. All six of Lewis’ UFC wins since 2014 have ended via KO/TKO, with four of those finishes coming inside the ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting