Former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez won’t be back in the Octagon until he gets a new contract.
Despite the UFC’s interest in wanting to book a rematch between Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier, the former Bellator and UFC lightweight champion is focused squarely on getting a new contract first and foremost.
“It’s not f*cking happening. I’m not fighting until I get a new deal,” Alvarez told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani.
Alvarez’s thrilling win over Justin Gaethje marked the penultimate fight of his current deal. In last week’s episode of The MMA Hour, he said that the UFC offered him a new contract, but that the offer was inadequate.
“We spoke about it. But the only thing spoken about after Justin Gaethje was re-signing with the UFC,” he said last week. “I never got an opponent or a bout agreement. They never said ‘here’s a bout agreement for an opponent.’ The only thing we spoke of was re-signing and we haven’t come to that agreement yet. So I’m guessing there’s not going to be an opponent or a bout agreement in the mail unless I’m ready to re-sign. So when we come to agreement to re-sign, then I’m sure there will be a bout agreement in the mail.”
A potential Alvarez vs. Poirier rematch was looked at for UFC on FOX 30 on July 28th. “The Diamond” already tweeted that he’s accepted the bout, but none of that really matters if Alvarez can’t get the contract he desires.
I said yes again Edward.
— The Diamond (@DustinPoirier) May 2, 2018
“UFC needs to stop playing games,” Alvarez said. “They know what I mean.”
So if you’re salivating over Alvarez vs. Poirier 2, or perhaps Alvarez welcoming Nate Diaz back to the Octagon after nearly two years off, hold off for now. Consider it another twist in the complicated tale that is the top of the UFC lightweight division.