At one time, lightweight Andrew McInnes looked to be one of the most promising prospects in his native Canada until the closing of his home promotion and a wonky fight for another derailed a bit of his momentum.
“The main issue with getting fights here was that the MFC show shut down and it had been the big league for Canadian fighting,” McInnes told MMAWeekly.com. “There’s only one promotion left, and they do have a couple good people, but they cater to fighters with lower skill level and stuff like that.
“I can’t say (the MFC closing) completely came out of nowhere. Mark Pavelich, who ran MFC, is a really good businessman and he realized he could make money elsewhere. It’s a lot easier to deal with one realtor rather than 18 meathead fighters.”
McInnes was able to get a fight for World Series of Fighting in Canada against Cody McKenzie, but a disqualification lead to the kind of win he was not anticipating.
“I felt I was robbed of a legitimate finish,” McInnes said. “To me it felt clear that (McKenzie) was looking for a way out. Unfortunately for me, he found it. The only thing that wasn’t proved in that fight was that he should have been finished. I’d like to get my hands on him down the line.”
McInnes (6-1) will get an opportunity to claim his long sought after title when he takes on Tom Gallicchio (19-8) in the 155-pound main event at the inaugural Triumph FC show in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on Friday.
“With Tom, to be entirely honest, I could underperform and still put this guy away in the ….View full article