Michael Bisping admits he was deeply affected by his loss to Georges St-Pierre, which is why he is immediately getting back into action against Kelvin Gastelum in Shanghai.
Michael Bisping suffered a huge loss against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 earlier this month, dropping the middleweight title in the process. It is a loss that he admits, left a stinging pain in his psyche.
“I got a call from legal department saying, ‘Mike, we need to know that you’re there mentally and physically, how do you feel?’ Bisping said on Monday’s MMA Hour episode (via MMA Fighting). “I said physically I’m fine, but mentally I’m wounded. The only thing that’s going to make that right is if I’m able to fight again. I’m emotionally and mentally scarred, but physically I’m fine.”
Bisping did get what he asked for when Anderson Silva once again failed a drug test and was subsequently taken off the scheduled match-up against Kelvin Gastelum in Shanghai, China. When the opportunity opened up, “The Count” immediately jumped in.
“I text Dana, I said, ‘Listen, I know a guy that fought last week who has no injuries that can fight in Shanghai,’” Bisping said. “He texted back, ‘interesting’, and I text back, ‘very’. Twenty minutes later, I get a phone call. We agreed, we said we’d do it.”
“The fact that I lost that fight, you know, it bothers me,” Bisping admitted. “I know if I had that fight ten times I’d win that fight ten times. I know I would, but I lost to Georges and here we are with this gift from the Gods.”
“I get a chance to exorcise my demons. I get a chance to get back in the win column – all good things.”
UFC Shanghai takes place on November 25th.