Earlier this month, it was confirmed that surging featherweight contender Brian Ortega would challenge Max Holloway for the title at UFC 231.
The championship bout was originally scheduled for UFC 226, but ‘Blessed’ was forced to withdraw from the main event at the last minute after being rushed to hospital for ‘concussion-like symptoms.’ The reigning champ was also removed from his short notice fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 and suffered an injury in the lead-up to his axed bout with Frankie Edgar at UFC 222.
This time, however, Holloway may be stripped of the featherweight title if he pulls out his title defense against Ortega in December.
That’s what ‘T-City’ implied when he revealed the details of his contract to MMA Junkie Radio.
“I’m laser-focused on the belt at this point,” Ortega said in a recent interview. “Now, with this fight happening, we have it where if Max shows up or doesn’t show up, I’m going to have a fight for the featherweight (title) no matter what.
“This is the first time I’m letting it out right now,. Yeah, it’s in the contract. Everything is done. I will fight for the featherweight belt with or without him.
The 27-year-old turned down a short notice fight with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 226 but promised fans that he will not let anyone down again.
“There’s no more of me letting the fans down. If he pulls out on one days’ notice, three hours’ notice, it doesn’t matter,” he said. “I’m going to show up and it’s going to be for the featherweight belt and it’s going to be main event. Dec. 8, that’s the goal. UFC 231. Toronto.”
UFC 231 is scheduled to take place on December 8 at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.