Following back surgery in January, former UFC champion Cain Velasquez provided an update on his health and the amount of training he’s doing.
It doesn’t sound like we’ll be seeing Cain Velasquez back in action too soon.
The former UFC heavyweight champion released a statement Monday evening on his health and training on Twitter. Velasquez is not rushing back into heavy training and fight preparation, but instead will be taking it easy. Velasquez, who had minor back surgery in January to clear up lingering issues, is known for his many injuries during his mixed martial arts career and wants to avoid future problems as much as possible.
“I know I’ve been a bit under the radar the last couple of months,” Velasquez wrote. “Right now I am listening to my body and the advice from my medical team and choosing to take it easy. I’m still staying in shape, but getting back into fighting shape is going to take a bit more time as I can’t train the way I know how. I have to be smart about going back and can’t rush just to make a fight and then risk another injury.”
Velasquez was unable to provide a timetable for his return. But he said he will have his eye on UFC 211, which features a heavyweight title fight between champion Stipe Miocic and Junior dos Santos, as well as potentially top contender Fabricio Werdum, who was supposed to fight Ben Rothwell on the card until Rothwell was removed from the bout due to a potential USADA anti-doping violation. Velasquez said he expects to fight one of the heavyweight winners from that card, which takes place at American Airlines Center in Dallas on May 13, because he “belongs there,” and wants nothing more than to get his belt back.
Velasquez (14-2) was last seen inside the Octagon at UFC 200 last summer when he defeated Travis Browne in the first round. The American Kickboxing Academy product was slated to rematch Werdum late last year, but was pulled from the card during fight week by the Nevada State Athletic Commission due to medical complications.