WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Chalk up Cain Velasquez on the UFC’s side in the promotion’s disagreement with Conor McGregor.
Velasquez, the former UFC heavyweight champion, said he doesn’t personally care whether or not McGregor is fighting at UFC 200, but he doesn’t blame the UFC for pulling him for not wanting to fly into the United States to do press.
“I’m doing it, everybody else is doing it,” Velasquez said Tuesday at a UFC 200 media day. “Can I see his side? No, not really. I’m doing it. Everybody else is doing it. If he had to do way more than what we had to do, OK then, yes. I could definitely see that. But if he’s not, if he’s doing the same thing, then no. We’re all doing it.”
Beginning last week, the high-profile fighters scheduled to compete at UFC 200 began a media tour, stretching to different corners of the country. Velasquez and his opponent Travis Browne were in Los Angeles the last two days after everyone was in Las Vegas. McGregor would have went to Vegas, Stockton, Calif., and then on to New York for a press conference and appearance on “Good Morning America.” Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo, Miesha Tate and others are in New York now.
McGregor, though, said he didn’t want to interrupt his training camp for Nate Diaz, the man who beat him last month at UFC 196. McGregor said he would go to New York this week and do more media in May when he’s in Los Angeles before the fight. However, the UFC had a commercial filming and photo shoot scheduled for last week in Vegas and wanted McGregor there. He refused and the UFC pulled him from the card.
“I feel that we all do have obligations to ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting