Carlos Condit publicly wondered back in January if his loss to then-welterweight champion Robbie Lawler at UFC 195 would be the swan song to his 15-year mixed martial arts career. And although Condit decided to ultimately jump back into the fray, the question of retirement arose once more on Saturday night, when in the throes of his first-round loss to Demian Maia at UFC on FOX 21, the 32-year-old Condit admitted that the end of his fighting days may be approaching.
“I don’t know if I have any business fighting at this level anymore,” Condit said at the UFC on FOX 21 post-fight press conference. “I’ve been at this for a really long time, and the pressure of kind of being one of the top guys for almost a decade, it’s been awesome. I’ve loved being involved in this sport for the time that I have, and I’ve gotten to do what I love for a living for a long period of time. But, I don’t know, man. I don’t know if I belong here anymore. We’ll see.”
Condit (30-10) suffered the fastest loss of his fighting career at UFC on FOX 21, submitting to the jiu-jitsu wizardry of Maia via rear-naked choke in less than two minutes. The loss exacerbated a career slide that has seen Condit go 2-5 over his last seven fights since he was crowned interim UFC welterweight champion, and although he very nearly captured the UFC title earlier this year, Condit admitted that retirement is something that has been in the back of his mind for some time now.
“It’s been a long career and I think there comes a point in every fighters’ career that they have to kind of question how long they’re going to continue to do that,” Condit said. “And ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting