The suspension might have a limitation. But Chael Sonnen doesn’t foresee Nick Diaz fighting again once his five-year suspension handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission is up.
Diaz would be 36 years old in 2020 when the ban would be lifted. Five years in MMA is a veritable eternity.
“I wish there would be some kind of explanation,” Sonnen told Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. “When a guy stubs his toe and Nick did — Nick’s wrong here — but there is a question of, how wrong was he? What kind of violation is this? Was this a lifetime ban? You can call it five years, but as you know, that’s a lifetime ban in this sport.”
NAC commissioner Pat Lundvall actually first motioned for a lifetime ban for Diaz before fellow commissioner Anthony Marnell said he wouldn’t be comfortable with it.
Diaz was suspended for a third marijuana offense last month. However, he also passed two drug tests on the night of Jan. 31 at UFC 183, failing one. The two negative test results came from a lab accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA); the positive test did not. The commissioners did not discuss that — ….View original article