Weidman does not agree with the UFC’s decision to have Michael Bisping defend his middleweight title against Georges St-Pierre.
Almost everyone has criticized the UFC middleweight championship tilt between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre, but the fight will still go ahead and probably generate thousands, if not millions of pay-per-view buys.
But therein lies the problem. The UFC has been criticized for neglecting the official rankings for ‘money fights’, a term that was popularized when Conor McGregor fought Nate Diaz in a PPV smashing welterweight rematch at UFC 202.
MMA’s premiere promotion is shifting more and more towards sporting ‘entertainment’, and former middleweight champion Chris Weidman thinks that the latest announcement of Bisping vs. GSP ‘sucks for everybody’ in the division.
“It’s definitely holding up the division which sucks for everybody in the middleweight division.,” Weidman said, per MMA Fighting’s Jed Meshew. “I understand GSP, he gets the opportunity to fight for the middleweight title against a guy who’s probably less dangerous for him than even at welterweight, fighting a guy like Tyron Woodley. It’s a great opportunity for GSP so I understand where he’s going.”
St-Pierre, 35, is the former welterweight champion and hasn’t fought since his controversial split decision win over Johny Hendricks in 2013. The Canadian fan favorite will challenge Bisping for the title in his 185-pound debut.
‘All-American’ says it’s a great opportunity for both men but reiterated that it ‘sucks’ for the rest of the contenders.
“Bisping, it’s a great opportunity for him. He gets to make a lot of money fighting GSP and it’s a guy who’s coming up from welterweight who hasn’t fought in three years and, again, he’s not fighting a top contender in the middleweight division. So for those two guys it’s working out great, but for the rest of the division, it kind of sucks.”
Weidman, who lost the MW title to Luke Rockhold last year, last fought at UFC 205 where he was knocked out with a brutal flying knee by top-ranked contender Yoel Romero. The 32-year-old will look to rebound at UFC 210, where he will collide with Gegard Mousasi at the KeyBank Center in Buffalo, New York on April 8.
Bisping vs. St-Pierre, while not officially booked for a venue, is expected to take place during international fight week in July.