CM Punk doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.
The pro-wrestling-star-turned-MMA-fighter told Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour that he believes it is likely that he’ll get another shot in the UFC. Punk lost his debut by first-round submission to Mickey Gall at UFC 203 in September.
Punk said he and UFC president Dana White have been in discussions about a possible next move. The former WWE champion, whose real name is Phil Brooks, said he is hoping to return as early as January or February.
“I don’t want to speak for him, but I think if he wants to kill it, he would have killed it right then,” Punk said of his second fight being in the UFC. … “Until anything is official, I don’t want to say either way what he’s thinking or what he’s thinking. But yeah, I’m pretty confident that it’ll be in the UFC.”
Punk, 38, said White had an “idea” about what the UFC might do next with Punk, but would not divulge what that idea was. He did say he told White that he would definitely fight again — whether it’s for the UFC or another promotion. Punk added that he would understand if the UFC wanted to cut him.
Previously, White said Punk would “probably” not compete in the UFC again.
“I told him I want to fight again,” Punk said. “We’re back at it. We’re back to the drawing board. So, it’s up to him. He floated me an idea and we’re kind of going back and forth on it right now.”
Punk said an announcement could happen in the next few weeks, but there is no official timetable or anything yet on paper.
After falling to Gall in a lopsided loss, Punk said he got right back to training in ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting