Cody Garbrandt didn’t have to wait long until the callouts began. Just hours after Garbrandt scored a thunderous 48-second victory over Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 202, fellow bantamweight contender Bryan Caraway reached out to the UFC and requested a showdown with the fast-rising Team Alpha Male prospect. And though Garbrandt has his sights set on a fight against UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, he couldn’t help but laugh when he learned of Caraway’s request.
“That’s funny because that dude has turned me down twice,” Garbrandt said Monday on The MMA Hour. “That guy turned me down twice. He’s a bigger b*tch than Dominick Cruz. He knows that I’m next in line for a title shot, now he wants to keep his name relevant. All these fighters want to throw their name in with me. They want to throw their name in with the best just to get a chance to get in there, because they know I’m the real deal, they know I’m going to be the next champion, they know I’m the big fight.
“But’s it’s funny, Bryan, you were supposed to be my last fight, but you said you were hurt and that’s why Takeya stepped up and took the fight. So he turned me down twice. The first time because I wasn’t ranked, then this time I think just because I was finally ranked and then he said ‘I was hurt.’ That was before all of this. So that’s funny that he wants to grow some balls and call me out.”
Caraway is currently the No. 4 ranked contender in the UFC bantamweight division, although this isn’t the first time he has been accused by his fellow bantamweights of turning down fights. Caraway previously turned down a fight against John Dodson at ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting