Web
Analytics

The Best Resource For Mixed Martial Arts MMA

Conor McGregor being sued by alleged victim in Miami phone-smash case

18 0

Conor McGregor might be due in another Miami courtroom soon.

The man accusing McGregor of damaging his cell phone and stealing it earlier this week has now filed a civil lawsuit against the UFC star, MMA Fighting confirmed Thursday with the office of McGregor’s attorney Samuel Rabin. The news was first reported by the Associated Press.

Citing Miami-Dade County court records, the AP is reporting that Ahmed Abdirzak is suing McGregor for more than $15,000, accusing the Irish mixed martial arts celebrity of battery, assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The lawsuit was filed Thursday, according to the AP.

McGregor, 30, was arrested in Miami Beach on Monday evening on two felony charges: strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief.

McGregor and Abdirzak, 22, were both leaving the Fountainebleu hotel after 5 a.m. early Monday morning when Abdirzak attempted to take a photo of McGregor with his cell phone, per the arrest affidavit. McGregor responded by allegedly slapping the phone out of Abdirzak’s hand, stomping on it while it was on the ground and then picking it up and leaving with it.

McGregor was taken Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center after the arrest Monday evening. He was released on $12,500 bond about five hours later. McGregor has issued a written plea of not guilty, per online court records. His arraignment is scheduled for April 10.

At the time, Abdirzak told police that the phone was valued at $1,000. Abdirzak said to the Daily Mail in the United Kingdom, where he is from, that McGregor is a “dangerous thug.”

“He walked away with that trademark McGregor strut that you see him enter the ring with in UFC,” Abdirzak said. “I’m not going to lie, I was scared for my life – the guy is a lethal weapon.”

A video of the alleged incident has surfaced on TMZ.

Rabin confirmed receiving the lawsuit Thursday in a statement.

“Our office is in receipt of the civil lawsuit filed today, which is nothing more than a quick effort seeking a payday,” Rabin said.

McGregor is a former two-division UFC champion. He last fought at UFC 229 back in October, falling to Khabib Nurmagomedov. A brawl erupted after that fight, leading the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) to suspend McGregor six months and fine him $50,000.

Last year, McGregor was arrested on two felony counts in Brooklyn after throwing a dolly through a bus window following a UFC media day. McGregor ended up accepting a deal, pleading guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct to avoid jail time in July 2018.

In relation to that incident, McGregor, nicknamed “The Notorious,” is also being sued by fellow UFC fighter Michael Chiesa, who was injured when the dolly shattered the bus window glass and sprayed in Chiesa’s face. McGregor settled another lawsuit, stemming from the infamous press-conference bottle-throwing melee before UFC 202 in 2016, last October.


Source – link to original article