The water bottle stops here.
Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz are both facing sanctions from the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) for their roles in a bottle-throwing mess last month at the UFC 202 pre-fight press conference, commission executive director Bob Bennett confirmed with MMA Fighting on Monday.
Direct complaints against both McGregor and Diaz have been filed by the Nevada attorney general’s office. The news was first reported by ESPN.com.
The complaint alleges that the two UFC 202 headliners are guilty of conduct “detrimental to a contest or exhibition of unarmed combat.”
“Totally unacceptable,” Bennett told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani in a recent interview. “Not indicative of the way professional fighters should conduct themselves. … It showed disrespect for press, fighters, UFC and the commission.”
The fracas took place Aug. 17, three days prior to UFC 202 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Diaz left the press conference early, spurred on by his brother Nick, because McGregor came late. As Diaz and his team were leaving, they and McGregor’s team began hurling water bottles and other foreign objects at each other. McGregor himself threw a water bottle and a can of energy drink toward Diaz’s team from the stage at MGM Grand’s Copperfield Theater.
It’s unclear when the disciplinary hearings will be for both men. The next NAC meeting is scheduled for Sept. 29 and, sources said, another one could be set for Oct. 10.
The NAC fined Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier 10 percent of their fight purses after a press-conference brawl in 2014. McGregor made $3 million and Diaz took home $2 million in disclosed money at UFC 202. Jones was also made to do community service hours.
McGregor ended up beating Diaz in their rematch by majority decision.
Source:: mma fighting