Conor McGregor has already predicted that he’ll soon be in the nine-figure arena in the UFC. His prediction prowess has proved to be quite accurate thus far, at least when it comes to his fights, and now he has a little backing for the idea that he might hit the mark in the money department, as well.
UFC chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he thought McGregor would be “our first $100 millionaire.” And he wasn’t talking endorsements, movie deals, and the like. According to ESPN’s Darren Rovell, Fertitta was talking about fight earnings, bonuses, and pay-per-view revenue.
RELATED VIDEO > Conor McGregor Fans Go Crazy After Irishman’s Stunning UFC 194 Victory!
“We have sorted a deal already. It is a very good one,” McGregor told MMAFighting.com after his 13-second knockout of former champion Jose Aldo. “When you bring in a $10.1 million gate, back-to-back MGM records, the pay-per-views that we’re bringing in here, it’s nothing but good business. Times are good.”
With McGregor’s penchant for promotion, if he continues to win, it would certainly be believable that he could achieve the mark that Fertitta threw out.
Of course, he has even bigger aspirations, eyeballing the numbers recently generated by the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao boxing superfight earlier this year. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao generated somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 million in revenue, of which, more than $200 million went to Mayweather.
With Mayweather and Pacquiao both at the end of their careers when they fought, whereas McGregor is only 27 years old and likely hasn’t neared his peak.
“I’m catching up. I’m only 27,” he said after defeating Aldo. “Dem old ….View full article