The Best Resource For Mixed Martial Arts MMA

CSAC grants Jon Jones continuance, steroid hearing pushed back to February

SHARE
, / 5 0

Jon Jones won’t find out his fate until after the holidays.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion has been granted a continuance in his doping case with the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) and won’t have a hearing until February, CSAC executive officer Andy Foster told MMA Fighting on Tuesday. Jones’ hearing was initially scheduled for Dec. 12 in Sacramento.

The exact date in February for Jones to go before the commission has not been decided. Foster said it’s likely that the CSAC meeting that month will be somewhere in Southern California.

Jones, 30, failed an in-competition drug test in relation to his UFC 214 title fight with Daniel Cormier on July 29 in Anaheim, Calif. “Bones” tested positive for the steroid Turinabol. It was his second positive test in a span of two years. Jones’ win over Cormier, a third-round TKO, has been overturned by CSAC to a no contest as a result of the test failure.

Jones and his team have denied that he knowingly took any performance-enhancing drugs. They are currently working on testing supplements he took that might have been contaminated and sprung the positive test.

In addition to facing a suspension and fine from CSAC, Jones is also going through the adjudication process with USADA, the UFC’s anti-doping partner.

Last year, arbitrators found Jones negligent in taking a sexual-performance pill that caused him to test positive for the banned substances clomiphene and Letrozol and suspended him for one year. Jones will be going through arbitration again this time in his USADA, but no date has been set. Because he is a repeat offender, Jones is facing a longer suspension — up to four years, per the UFC’s anti-doping policy.

The UFC stripped the title from Jones once CSAC ruled the bout with Cormier a no-contest. Cormier was given the belt back.


Source – link to original article