LAS VEGAS — Early reports that three of Khabib Nurmagomedov’s teammates were arrested Saturday were premature.
UFC president Dana White said at the UFC 229 post-fight press conference Saturday night that Conor McGregor would not file a report against the men who came into the cage and attempted to attack him, as a melee ensued following the card’s main event.
“The way that that works is, Conor was one of the guys who was attacked and things like that,” White said. “Conor refused to press charges. The guys that they did have, they were released.”
Nurmagomedov retained his UFC lightweight title with a fourth-round submission victory over McGregor at T-Mobile Arena. And then all hell broke loose. Nurmagomedov continued talking to McGregor after the finish and then turned his attention to the Irishman’s corner. The UFC champion, spurred on by talk back in his direction, climbed over the cage and jumped onto McGregor’s training partner Dillon Danis.
While Nurmagomedov was scuffling with McGregor’s corner, three of Nurmagomedov’s teammates got into the Octagon to attempt to attack McGregor. McGregor took a swing at one man who climbed up onto the cage alongside him near McGregor’s corner. Security and Las Vegas Metropolitan police officers separated the sides, eventually escorting both McGregor and Nurmagomedov from the arena.
McGregor’s manager Audie Attar told MMA Fighting at McGregor’s after party at Encore Beach Club that White’s account was accurate — McGregor did not want to file a report against the men. Attar added, for clarification, that McGregor did not file a report, but that doesn’t mean others will not.
White said any of the fighters who were in the Octagon to attempt to attack McGregor will no longer fight in the UFC.
“The guys who jumped in will never fight here,” White said. “They’ll never fight here.”
As far as Nurmagomedov goes, the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) will be investigating the incident and Nurmagomedov’s $2 million guaranteed purse is being upheld, executive director Bob Bennett told MMA Fighting. Nurmagomedov could be facing a suspension. White said if that suspension is lengthy, Nurmagomedov could be stripped of the lightweight title.
This blood rivalry was sent into overdrive back in April when McGregor and more than a dozen others stormed a loading dock at Barclays Center in Brooklyn to attack a UFC fighter bus that Nurmagomedov was in. McGregor threw a dolly, shattering the bus window, injuring multiple fighters inside. “The Notorious” was arrested for that and later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
McGregor flew to New York to confront Nurmagomedov after Nurmagomedov and his team cornered McGregor’s teammate Artem Lobov earlier in the week at the fighter hotel. The wild scene six months ago set up this fight Saturday night. Well, both fights — the official one and the one in the aftermath.
White said McGregor was not bothered by the brouhaha that erupted after. He was more upset he lost in his effort to regain his UFC lightweight title.
“He didn’t care about the fight, meaning the fight after,” White said. “He was more concerned about the fight fight.
“He didn’t even press charges. He doesn’t like Khabib and the whole deal. But he didn’t even press charges against Khabib and this team. He doesn’t care about that — he cares that he lost the fight.”