DALLAS — David Branch’s return to the UFC just got a little bigger.
Following the cancellation of a main card tilt between Henry Cejudo and Sergio Pettis late Wednesday afternoon, the UFC announced that Branch’s showdown against top-10 ranked middleweight Krzysztof Jotko has been bumped up to the pay-per-view opener.
Branch, a former middleweight and light heavyweight WSOF champion, was previously scheduled to meet the No. 9 ranked Jotko on the FX prelims.
The Cejudo vs. Pettis match-up was scratched from this weekend’s event just hours after UFC 211 media day in Dallas on Wednesday.
Multiple sources told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that an untimely hand injury suffered by Cejudo was the culprit for the cancellation. Pettis is still expected to be given his show money as long as he successfully makes weight on Friday, although he was understandably disappointed to learn the bad news.
“It’s a shitty feeling, man,” Pettis told MMA Fighting. “I’ve never had this happen to me before. I was three days away from a performance of a lifetime.”
UFC 211 takes place May 13, 2017 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. The event will proceed as a 13-fight card headlined by a championship doubleheader, as UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic faces Junior dos Santos in a rematch in the night’s headlining bout, and strawweight titleholder Joanna Jedrzejczyk looks to defend her belt against Jessica Andrade in the co-main event.
Source:: mma fighting