One thing everyone knows about Fabricio Werdum is that he rarely — if ever — bites his tongue. Even when it comes at the expense of losing his side gig as an analyst for criticizing his employer’s business decisions.
His latest comments, however, may have crossed the line, as he accused former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos of being a homosexual.
Werdum made the statement to MMA Fighting as a rebuttal to “Cigano’s” claims that Fabricio turned down a rematch against him at UFC 207 this Friday (Dec. 30, 2016) in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“What ‘Cigano’ said was a bit weird. ‘Cigano’ has been chasing me for a long time. You usually go after the belt, not a fighter. I think that’s weird. I wasn’t offered this (fight). He’s saying I turned it down. I’d fight him just to end this story of him chasing me. Some people think he’s jealous because I became champion beating his ‘dad’ Cain Velasquez, but I don’t think that’s the case. I think he didn’t come out of the closet yet. I don’t have anything against homosexuals, but ‘Cigano’ needs to get out of the closet. He must have something because he won’t forget me. I already told him I’m married. Nothing against gays, but everyone does their own thing.”
I don’t think “Vai Cavalo” can use the “lost in translation” card on this one.
Werdum was set to face Cain Velasquez at his weekend’s pay-per-view (PPV) event, however, Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) deemed Cain “medically unfit” to fight, and subsequently denied him a license to compete.
Fabricio lobbied to stay on he card, with fighters such as Junior and Stefan Struve opting to step in on short notice. However, UFC went ahead and removed Werdum from the event completely.
Who he faces next is anyone’s guess, though if Werdum has his way, he’s ready for a rematch against current division champion Stipe Miocic after the 265-pound kingpin dethroned the Brazilian bomber from the top of the big man mountain earlier this year.
Source:: mma mania