UFC 209’s Darren Elkins and Bellator 174’s Fernando Gonzalez discuss their fights and a variety of other topics with Bloody Elbow’s Three Amigos Podcast.
Welcome to your weekly dose of Three Amigos Podcast fun. This episode is loaded with great content, courtesy of our special guests, UFC lightweight veteran standout Darren Elkins and Bellator welterweight attraction Fernando Gonzalez. We also have new installments of our popular segments: RantyPants™ and Sports That Can’t Stop No Double Leg™.
Ordered Listing with timestamps:
RantyPants™ – 14:00
Sports That Can’t Stop No Double Leg™ – 25:45
Darren Elkins – 40:20
Fernando Gonzalez – 55:30
Here is a summary of each interview segment, complete with the time stamps for when each interview or special segment begins. As always, we hope you enjoy listening to the show as much as we enjoyed recording it.
Darren Elkins (40:20 mark)
- Mirsad Bektic discussion
- Being the perennial underdog
- If he feels pressure to turn up his persona
- How he has managed to stay injury free
- Thoughts on champions holding up divisions
- How he sees Aldo vs. Holloway going
- Thoughts on wrestlers/grapplers that abandon their core skillsets to become strikers
- How much a difference being at Team Alpha Male has made for him
- If he worries about all the roster cuts
- Thoughts on Korean Zombie’s performance in his return
- The worst injury he’s ever had (pretty gnarly tale here)
- Tattoo discussion
- Difficulties of weight cutting with smaller fighters
Fernando Gonzalez (55:30 mark)
- Discussion on Brandon Girtz
- How he found out his original opponent (Alexei Koreshkov) had pulled out of the fight
- If he wants the rematch with MVP right away
- Thoughts on Rory MacDonald vs. Paul Daley
- Discussion on UFC veterans falling to Bellator’s homegrown talent
- Were there any teething issues to work out?
- Climbing back up to a possible title shot after the MVP loss
The hosts discuss a variety of topics that include:
- Bisping/GSP booking
- Gian Villante’s TUE
- NYSAC denies Holm’s appeal
- Fight bookings (Maia/Masvidal, Gus/Glover)
- Sports That Can’t Stop No Double Leg™
- Staff predictions and standings
You can check out the entire show here or via the embedded player below. Remember, if you’re looking for us on SoundCloud or iTunes, we’re under the MMA Nation name. Follow our Twitter accounts: Stephie Haynes, Three Amigos Podcast, Iain Kidd and Mookie Alexander or our Facebook fan page, Three Amigos Pod.