LAS VEGAS – Just 24 hours after defeating Chad Mendes and being promised the next crack at the featherweight title, Frankie Edgar is back to wondering where he stands.
After Conor McGregor’s 13-second knockout of longtime featherweight champion Jose Aldo at UFC 194 Saturday night, Edgar spoke to the UFC brass and got some potentially sobering news. That news was that McGregor — who is now the undisputed 145-pound champion — may be on his way to lightweight.
Edgar wasn’t in the best of spirits before the post-fight presser began.
“I mean, last night I was told I was getting the winner,” he said. “Now I’m hearing a rumor Conor might go up, and then I heard in an interview that he might want to stick around and fight me, so I’m game.”
Asked if he was worried that the UFC was going to renege on its promise to give him the next crack, Edgar said he was.
“Of course, of course — you’ve seen it happen before and now I think I’ve seen it slip out of my hands, and I’ve seen it slip out of others hands before too,” he said. “I’ve got to be ready for that, but I’m hoping for the best.”
The UFC’s Vice President of Public Relations Dave Sholler, who was standing in for Dana White at the press conference, reiterated what Edgar had been told. He said that there were two scenarios.
“Yeah, [White] laid out some scenarios,” Sholler said. “One scenario is he stays at 145 and fights Frankie Edgar. The second scenario is potentially vacating that title and then moving up and getting the next shot following the FOX card next weekend between [Donald] Cerrone and [Rafael] dos Anjos.
“Those are the two scenarios. You know Dana doesn’t like to make fights on the ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting