Nobody really believes it is going to happen, right? With Conor McGregor under contract with the UFC, nobody really believes that the UFC featherweight champion would step out of his MMA comfort zone and into the squared circle to box one of the greatest champion’s in that sport’s history.
Nobody really believed it, but Floyd Mayweather, the retired world champion in question, has been fueling the rumors himself, admitting that while he and McGregor haven’t talked, he believes the fight is going to happen. Apparently, he’s going to will it into existence just by talking about it.
McGregor hasn’t exactly shuttered the idea, but in true McGregor fashion isn’t about to box Mayweather unless it breaks records, which it likely would.
“I hear the boy talking. The leak came out, it was him that leaked the rumor. He gets $100 million, I get $7 million. That’s a pay cut for me. I don’t take pay cuts. I thought boxing was where the money was at. $7 million is absolutely laughable,” McGregor said in an ESPN interview.
RELATED > Conor McGregor Video: Floyd Mayweather Needs Me; It’s Me Who is in Control Here
FOX Sports 1 talk show host Colin Cowherd, on his show on Monday, said that, despite what McGregor is saying, his sources indicate that the fight is going to happen. He’s so sure of his sources that he has booked a couple of rooms in Las Vegas for the September fight.
“My intel is Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call then somebody else sent me something (Sunday) and Saturday. We’ve booked rooms in Vegas… in September,” said Cowherd.