Welcome to If I Did It the show where we talk PR kerfluffles from the world of PR and beyond. This week: GSP vs Bisping??!?! Oscar follies. Recuse this.
Alexei Auld is back with a brand new book available 7 Secret Sources of Inspiration: A Snappy Guide for Creative Procrastinators to grill Eugene S. Robinson (who’s pushing a GoFundMe to pay for the new Oxbow album) and myself with some PR stumpers from the world of combat sports.
For the audio only version check us out on SoundCloud and be sure to subscribe to MMA NATION on iTunes and subscribe to MMA Nation on YouTube so you’ll never miss an episode. This week’s kerfuffles include:
- You’re WME-IMG. Explain the PR behind granting Georges St Pierre, who retired as the UFC Welterweight Champion, a title match in his Octagon return against the reigning UFC….Middleweight Champion. – 0:39
- You’re the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences. During your “In Memoriam” segment at the Oscars last Sunday, you accidentally used the photograph of living Australian producer Jan Chapman, instead of the late costume designer Janet Patterson. How do you make amends? – 8:50
- You’re Nicki Minaj. After you dissed fellow rapper Remy Ma on Friday, she penned and released a response that thoroughly bodied every aspect of your professional and private life, ranging from your alleged use of ghost writers, coonery, your botched butt implant, inspiring lethal body imagery to impressionable black girls, stupidity in bullying Mariah Carey/Miley Cyrus/Taylor Swift, performing sexual acts to advance your career, and your brothers upcoming pedophila rape case. Since you have more bank in the tank from the junk in your trunk, should you just move on and take this ‘L’? – 13:37
- You’re Hunter Biden. Your father, former Vice President Joe Biden, was so affected by your older brother’s tragic death, he rejected a presidential bid. You were so affected, you left your wife to get with your brother’s widow. You told Page Six, ““Hallie and I are incredibly lucky to have found the love and support we have for each other in such a difficult time, and that’s been obvious to the people who love us most. We’ve been so lucky to have family and friends who have supported us every step of the way.” What PR prep do you have in place in case enquiring minds want to know more from ‘friends and family”? – 17:52
- You’re a Congressional Republican. After being busted by the Washington Post for lying to Congress about chatting with a Russian spymaster, Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from Justice Department investigations into Russian influence in the 2016 US Presidential Election. With Russia on everybody’s mind, your Republican colleagues buckling to pressure, and a President who neither forgives nor forgets his enemies, how do you navigate an environment, live and in public, if you will, filled with risky bidness? – 27:15
- TEACHABLE MOMENT: You’re PricewaterhouseCoopers accountant Brian Cullinan. Days before the Oscars, you told the Huffington Post that there was no procedure for preventing a false winner from being named at the Academy Awards, because “it’s so unlikely.” Yet on your watch days later, the wrong Best Picture was named because you were tweeting a backstage picture of Emma Stone instead of doing your job and handing Warren Beatty the correct envelope for Best Picture. What can we learn from your epic fail? – 40:25
- KID NATE’S HEEL TURN – 46:10
- EUGENE’S LOST BATTALION – 53:20
THANKS FOR JOINING US. FOLLOW US on Twitter @eugeneSrobinson, @kidnate@alexeiauld. PLEASE GIVE THIS A THUMBS UP and leave comments on YouTube, read Eugene at Ozydot.com and be sure and check out all three of us on Amazon.com
“We’ll be back next week with another installment of If I Did It and we don’t know what we’ll be talking about yet because the PR mistakes have yet to be made.”