The Amigos are back with a pair of great interviews featuring weight management specialist Tyler Minton and NJ ringside physician Dr. Michael Kelly
Welcome to your weekly dose of Three Amigos Podcast fun. This episode is loaded with great content, courtesy of our special guests, nutrition coach/weight management specialist Tyler Minton and New Jersey ringside physician and author of Fight Medicine Dr. Michael Kelly. We also have new installments of our popular segments: RantyPants™, Q&A with Captain Kidd™ and Sports That Can’t Stop No Double Leg™.
Ordered Listing with timestamps:
RantyPants™ – 12:20
Q&A with Captain Kidd™ – 22:05
Sports That Can’t Stop No Double Leg™ – 32:35
Tyler Minton – 49:25
Dr. Michael Kelly – 1:21:20
Here is a summary of each interview segment, complete with the time stamps for when each interview or special segment begins. As always, we hope you enjoy listening to the show as much as we enjoyed recording it.
Tyler Minton (49:25 mark)
- Fighting background
- Qualifications, certificates, experience
- Fighters he’s working with
- Weight cutting philosophy
- Importance of regulating hormones in the body for efficient weight cuts
- Biology of a weight cut
- Start to finish process
- Common mistakes in weight cutting
- Early morning weigh-ins
- Warning signs to call off a cut
- Difficulties of weight cutting with smaller fighters
Dr. Michael Kelly (1:21:20 mark)
- Background Dr. Kelly
- Explain the new concussion protocol
- Can it detect subconcussive blows
- How did it come to your attention and get implemented?
- It was trialed this weekend, how did it go?
- Were there any teething issues to work out?
- Are there any plans to introduce it between rounds, or is it too cumbersome for that?
- Use in pre-fight medicals?
- What is the cost to an AC to implement it?
- What expertise is required to use the device & interpret the data?
- How many concussions did it detect during the test that may have been overlooked?
- When is the next test?
The hosts discuss a variety of topics that include:
- Derrick Lewis and the trolling of Ronda Rousey
- Freddie Roach’s role in GSP return to UFC
- Terry Etim’s hospitalization
- UFC’s contract issues with Al Iaquinta
- Rousey to act again on Blindspot
- Q&A with Captain Kidd™
- Sports That Can’t Stop No Double Leg™
- Staff predictions and standings
You can check out the entire show here or via the embedded player below. Remember, if you’re looking for us on SoundCloud or iTunes, we’re under the MMA Nation name. Follow our Twitter accounts: Stephie Haynes, Three Amigos Podcast, Iain Kidd and Mookie Alexander or our Facebook fan page, Three Amigos Pod.