Former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks says he has found a permanent home at middleweight.
Johny Hendricks had a rough 2016 but the 33-year-old has found a new lease of life since moving from 170-pounds to 185-pounds earlier this year.
Hendricks, the former UFC welterweight champion, found it increasingly hard to make weight and actually missed weight on two separate occasions against Neil Magny and Kelvin Gastelum. ‘Bigg Rigg’ lost both bouts and also suffered the first TKO loss of his career when he was stopped by breakthrough contender Stephen Thompson at UFC Fight Night 82.
After losing his third straight fight in December of last year, Hendricks decided that enough was enough and made the move to middleweight.
The Texan had no problem making weight and comfortably beat the heavy handed Hector Lombard via unanimous decision at UFC Fight Night 105.
Hendricks told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour that he’s ‘done’ with welterweight and plans to make a career at 185 lbs.
“I don’t want to see ’70 ever again,” Hendricks said, per MMA Fighting’s Dave Doyle. “I’m officially done with it.”
Hendricks was actually considering retirement after a series of rough weight cuts and bad performances but plans to fight once every two months after having found his new home at middleweight.
“As long as my body is healed, I can go out there and fight every two months if I want to,” he said. “Cutting weight, right now I’m at 205, a little bit lighter than that, now that I don’t have to slam my body, I’m actually not eating as much, I’m eating better, I’m not super clean but I’m not going off the deep end like I used to for the ’70 class.”
Hendricks’ second fight at middleweight will take place at UFC Fight Night 112, where he will take on ‘The Barbarian’, Tim Boetsch, at Chesapeake Energy Arena on Oklahoma City on June 25.