The world around Jon Jones is never dull. That fact is more true than ever on the heels of a whirlwind week that saw Jones jailed for yet another run-in with the law, released with new restrictions on his probation, then immediately faced with a short-notice opponent swap following the injury withdrawal of UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier.
The result of all that commotion? Jones will instead fight Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197 on April 23 for the interim UFC light heavyweight title, although even that decision did not come easy.
“Originally, the UFC called me and asked about Anthony Johnson,” Jones explained Monday on The MMA Hour. “They said that he had already accepted the fight, and they asked me if I was going to accept the fight. I told them I needed a meeting with my coaches. I had a meeting with my coaches, and the next morning I called the UFC said let’s do this thing. They said that Anthony’s camp changed their mind, I guess, since he had some dental work he needed to do.
“That made no sense to me whatsoever, for him to be ready at one point and then the next minute it was dental work. So I just told Lorenzo (Fertitta), whoever you need me to fight, I want to make things right for UFC 151. I want to do something for my fans, something positive. I know people who have been saving up months to make it out to Vegas for this fight. I know guys who, this is their anniversary gift or birthday gift from people, and I was like, you know what, I’ve put my fans through so much already. I need to get out there and just put it on the ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting