Reigning UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones teased MMA fans earlier this month when he hinted of a big fight announcement coming soon, which has led some to speculate that the pound-for-pound No. 1 could be moving up to heavyweight to challenge divisional champ Stipe Miocic.
If that does turn out to be true, and Jones decides to move up a weight class, former UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos believes the JacksonWink standout would fare very well against the heavyweight contenders, hailing Jones ‘the baddest guy on the planet’.
“Jon Jones is the No. 1 baddest guy on the planet… actually, he’s the No. 1 pound-for-pound in the world, so I think he could do very well in the heavyweight division,” dos Santos told MMA Fighting in a recent interview. “It’s kind of different. Not many different things, but more power on the punches, more power on the grappling, in everything. His last fight with ‘Marreta’ he did good, but Marreta did very, very good,” dos Santos said. “I think he can decide to make this move because it’s gonna be good for the heavyweight division too to have him here.”
Jones teased of his ‘big fight announcement’ earlier this month, Sept. 9, so expect an official announcement in the coming days.