Robbie Lawler and Rafael dos Anjos are set to due battle in Winnipeg after both made weight on Friday, but one main card fighter missed the mark and a preliminary fighter failed to weigh-in.
Lawler vs. dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 at Bell MTS Place on Saturday with a lot on the line. UFC president Dana White has said that the winner of the fight is expected to get a shot at welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, who is currently on the sidelines, opting for minor shoulder surgery.
While most of the fighters at Friday’s weigh-in had no trouble on the scale, Josh Emmett was well above the mark. Emmett is getting a big opportunity, as he steps in for Jose Aldo to face Ricardo Lamas in the night’s co-main event, but he stepped on the scale at 148.5 pounds for the featherweight tilt. That’s 2.5 pounds above the allowed limit for a non-title fight.
In addition to Emmett missing weight, preliminary card fighter Pietro Menga failed to weigh-in. UFC officials did not immediately give a reason for Menga not coming to the weigh-in, but noted that his fight with Tim Elliott had been cancelled. Elliott, who weighed in at 125.5 pounds early during the weigh-in process, will still be paid his show money for the bout.
A highly anticipated fight between welterweight knockout artists Santiago Ponzinibbio and Mike Perry is set, as both men easily made weight.
TRENDING > Robbie Lawler: ‘If I Fight to the Best of My Abilities, There’s No Stopping Me’
UFC on FOX 26 is the promotion’s first return trip to Winnipeg after first landing in the city for UFC 161 in 2013, where Rashad Evans defeated Dan Henderson in the main event.
UFC on FOX 26: Lawler vs. dos Anjos Weigh-in Results
Main Card (8 pm ET on FOX):
- Robbie Lawler (170.5) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (170)
- Ricard Lamas (146) vs. Josh Emmett (148.5)
- Santiago Ponzinibbio (170.5) vs. Mike Perry (170)
- Glover Teixeira (205) vs. Misha Cirkunov (205.5)
Preliminary Card (5 pm ET on FS1):
- Jan Błachowicz (205.5) vs. Jared Cannonier (204)
- Julian Marquez (185) vs. Darren Stewart (185.5)
- Chad Laprise (170.5) vs. Galore Bofando (170)
- Tim Elliott (125.5) vs. Pietro Menga (—)*
- John Makdessi (153) vs. Abel Trujillo (155.5)
- Alessio Di Chirico (185) vs. Oluwale Bamgbose (184.5)
Preliminary Card (4 pm ET on UFC Fight Pass):
- Jordan Mein (169) vs. Erik Silva (170.5)
- Nordine Taleb (170.5) vs. Danny Roberts (170.5)
*Menga failed to weigh-in and his bout was cancelled.
Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram