Luke Rockhold talks about the predicament at the middleweight division’s current title picture.
There have been questions hounding Georges St-Pierre about whether or not he will defend the UFC middleweight title that he won against Michael Bisping at UFC 217 last month. Former champion Luke Rockhold, for one, has been skeptical the moment St-Pierre was crowned as the new 185-pound champion.
Rockhold appeared on Monday’s episode of The MMA Hour to reiterate his sentiments, but this time, he advised St-Pierre to step away from the middleweight division and drop the title altogether.
“He’s not fighting any of us. He’s too small,” Rockhold said (via MMA Fighting). “Guys like me would feast on Georges. He won’t last here. He had his opportunity, he got his belt, good for you. Just move along and let us handle our business here.”
“I don’t want to jump to conclusions, but I mean, the fact is come out and just that say you don’t want to fight here in the division, relinquish the title, and move on. I’m tired of story after story and just dragging us on and leaving us in the dark. State what it is. If you’re sick you’re sick, but the fact is, you don’t want to fight in the division.”
If it were up to him, Rockhold would be fighting interim champion Robert Whittaker instead.
“If Georges were to stay, it would be laughable. I’d be seeking the fight; I’m not seeking the fight because that’s not realistic,” Rockhold said. “Georges won’t fight me; he won’t fight anyone. So, he looks right, Whittaker is the real champ, he has been the real champ a long time. Like I said, make it official and let’s move on.”
St-Pierre recently revealed that he has been dealing with ulcerative colitis since his training camp for UFC 217 and that his health is his number one priority as of the moment.