While Luke Rockhold has been active of late with his Twitter fingers, the former UFC middleweight champion has yet to book a fight. Rockhold last competed at UFC 199 last year, losing his title to current champion Michael Bisping in a first-round knockout upset. UFC is planning to pit Rockhold up against streaking title contender Gegard Mousasi, but contract negotiations are getting in the way.
“Ask Mousasi, that’s what they want. I like it,” said Rockhold in a recent interview with TMZ Sports (shown above). “It’s just a matter of…he’s a man of principle, so I give him some credit, he’s going to wait and see the best offer. Can’t fault a man for that, but I think that’s the fight that makes sense right now.”
If Rockhold’s potential matchup with Mousasi falls through, the former middleweight king is more than willing to step up on short notice and make an appearance at UFC 213 on July 8 in Las Vegas.
“Is he gonna fight anybody in the division that’s worthwhile,” said Rockhold of Bisping, who is still linked to a bout with Georges St-Pierre. “I’m just gonna do my thing, I’m gonna fight when I have to fight. I’m looking for a fight. Of course I want a 3rd fight with Michael.”
“I’m training. I’ll be ready. Something happens to Yoel, Whittaker, I’ll be ready to fill in too.”
In case Yoel Romero or Robert Whittaker have to pull out of their interim title fight at UFC 213, Rockhold is a great fill-in to have on standby. Not only does Rockhold make for a great matchup with either contender, but he needs a big win after losing to Bisping last June to stay afloat in the 185-pound title picture.
Source:: mma mania