LAS VEGAS — Nick Diaz isn’t currently licensed to corner his brother Nate at UFC 202. But that could change.
Nick’s manager Lloyd Pierson told MMA Fighting on Thursday night that his team is still working on the situation with the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC). Nick still owes the state part of the fine from his 2015 marijuana sanctions, but the entire amount could be paid before Saturday night when Nate meets Conor McGregor at T-Mobile Arena.
Nick Diaz owes Nevada $75,000 of the $100,000 fine he was levied in January, NAC executive director Bob Bennett told Damon Martin of FOX Sports on Thursday. Diaz’s 18-month suspension was up Aug. 1, but he won’t be able to fight or get a corners license until the total sum of his fine is paid off.
Nick was given the suspension and fine after he tested positive for marijuana in relation to his UFC 183 fight with Anderson Silva in January 2015. Nick was initially suspended five years and fined $165,000 last year, but the discipline was reduced after a settlement.
Nick was also front and center Wednesday when Team Diaz and Team McGregor got into a wild altercation during the UFC 202 pre-fight press conference at MGM Grand. Nick motioned for Nate to leave the press conference and the Diaz team stormed from the venue — but not before bottle-throwing madness ensued.
Nate threw a bottle at Team McGregor in the stands and they retaliated by throwing things toward Team Diaz. Then McGregor, still on stage, launched a water bottle and energy drink can in the vicinity of Team Diaz.
Bennett confirmed to MMA Fighting on Thursday that the incident is under review by the commission and McGregor and Nate Diaz could be facing sanctions at the commission meeting in ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting