The Best Resource For Mixed Martial Arts MMA

Mike Wilkinson announces he was released by the UFC

SHARE
, / 117 0

An exciting up-and-comer from England has been released by the UFC.

Mike Wilkinson announced Monday on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that he was cut by the promotion following his last fight, a unanimous decision loss to Makwan Amirkhani in February. Wilkinson went 2-2 in the UFC and earned a Performance of the Night bonus with a first-round knockout of Niklas Backstrom in 2014.

After the win over Backstrom, Wilkinson (9-2) suffered a shoulder injury that kept him out for more than a year. Wilkinson, 28, hails from Manchester and was a castmate on The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes.

Wilkinson’s release comes on the heels of uncharacteristic UFC cuts of solid fighters like Jared Rosholt and Norman Parke.

Wilkinson, who came into the promotion at 7-0 with six finishes, said he was “in a bit of shock” when he found out he would no longer be in the UFC. He thought he had done enough to hang around for a bit, especially considering his exciting fighting style. Wilkinson was disappointed about the way his fight with Amirkhani played out, even though it was very competitive.

“Not taking a win away from him, not making no excuses, he played it safe,” Wilkinson said. “He didn’t want to stand with me. He didn’t want to put a show on. He just wanted to get the win. And that will only get him so far. For me, I want to be kind of a prizefighter. I want to put a show on for the fans, have wars, fights like Diego Sanchez and Gilbert Melendez. I want to go out on my shield and I want to make history.”

“The Warrior” said despite the loss and cut, he feels good about that fight in a way, because he showed himself he could ….View full article

Source:: mma fighting