T.J. Dillashaw hasn’t had a great 2016.
Dillashaw lost his UFC bantamweight title to Dominick Cruz by split decision in January, then missed out on a chance at redemption.
Dillashaw had campaigned for an immediate rematch with Cruz but the promotion awarded the shot to his old coach and new rival, Urijah Faber.
Faber will challenge for Cruz’s title a second time in a rubber match June 4 at UFC 199 following bouts in 2007 and 2011, the later won by Cruz. Dillashaw isn’t happy about it.
“I flew to Las Vegas and met with [UFC CEO] Lorenzo Fertitta to plead my case,” Dillashaw told ESPN.com’s Brett Okamoto. “They entertained the idea of an immediate rematch. They said they’d let me know in two weeks — then I found out on social media Faber got the fight.
“I’m pretty pissed. Faber isn’t deserving. The only way this guy has stayed relevant during the last year is talking s— about me. It’s unfortunate everything has become more about entertainment than sport. I just had a very competitive fight with Cruz. I don’t think Faber has a chance. I hope he does win, but it’s all about giving him his last title shot now. I think the UFC feels they can’t give him another fight before then and expect him to win.”
A lot could happen in two and half months. Dillashaw isn’t exactly hoping for Cruz or Faber to suffer an injury, he’s just planning ahead.
“I’m going to be ready and in shape if one of those guys gets hurt,” Dillashaw said. “One of them is old and one of them is constantly hurt, so, you know, I’ve got a good chance.
“The UFC is the greatest fight promotion in the world, but I’m very disappointed in their decision on this. I had hoped they’d care ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting