Nate Diaz responds to the rumors of walking out Floyd Mayweather for the Conor McGregor fight.
Last month, ‘Love & Hip Hop’ star Jason Lee said he would be extending an invitation to Nate Diaz to join Floyd Mayweather’s ‘Money Team’ for the Conor McGregor boxing match in three week’s time.
According to Lee, a native of Stockton, California, Mayweather’s entourage want Diaz to walkout with ‘Money’ on Aug. 26.
“I’m gonna make the call to Nate Diaz,” Lee told TMZ in a recent interview. “I would love to see him walk out with Floyd. Hell yea, that would be awesome for the town.”
Diaz, who became the first man to beat McGregor under the UFC banner last year, responded to Lee’s invitation and coyly stated that he isn’t sure.
“I don’t know man, that’s what I am hearing too,” Diaz said on ‘The Roman Show’ last week.
The proud Stockton local submitted ‘The Notorious’ at UFC 196 but lost via majority decision in the five-round welterweight rematch at UFC 202.
Although Diaz doesn’t seem to be the kind to team up with Mayweather, a walkout for the biggest fight in combat sports history would be a great publicity stunt and would generate mass interest for a lightweight trilogy fight with McGregor in the fall.
Diaz, 32, isn’t sure when he’s returning to the Octagon but says it will be sooner rather than later.
“Time will tell,” Diaz said of his next opponent. “We will see what happens in the coming months.
“I am sure I’ll be there sooner than later, but I am just taking the summer off and checking out on some thing.”
Diaz hasn’t fought since he lost to McGregor last August. The Californian secured the biggest paycheck of his career and will only return to MMA against the right opponent and for the right payday.
Mayweather vs. McGregor, which looks set to smash all PPV records, takes place later this month, August 26 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.