Photo by Cooper Neill/Zuffa LLC
In an interview published earlier this week on the42.ie, Irish lightweight Joseph Duffy told Paul Dollery that he wasn’t happy with the contract extension UFC have offered him.
‘Irish Joe’ also revealed that despite being offered a spot on the upcoming Belfast card on November 19, he didn’t sign for the fight, as he wasn’t happy with the standard of opponent that the promotion had in mind.
Duffy is 3-1 under the UFC banner and his next outing will be the last on his current five-fight contract. His three wins have all come by way of stoppage in the first round and his sole loss saw him become the only man who has lasted the distance with Dustin Poirier since ‘The Diamond’ moved up to lightweight.
After getting back in the win column with a stunning first round knockdown-to-submission victory over Mitch Clarke, Duffy is ready to establish himself in the lightweight rankings. However, the Irishman doesn’t believe that UFC has offered him a contract that reflects his growing status.
“No, I’m not close at all (to signing a new deal),” said Duffy. “I have been offered a new contract to sign but I don’t feel like I’m valued. The negotiation seems to be a case of take it or leave it.
“I’m not asking for a massive increase, just what I believe I’m worth as a professional mixed martial artist. It’s definitely looking like I will be testing free agency, but not by choice.”
For a lot of fighters who reveal their intention to test free agency, UFC often gives them a very stern test for their last fight.
Whether to build another fighter off the exiting fighter’s name or simply to blemish their record as they transfer to another organization, Josh Thomson was handed Tony Ferguson as his parting ….View full article