Web
Analytics

The Best Resource For Mixed Martial Arts MMA

Poirier growing impatient with Alvarez, calls for title shot

39 0

Dustin Poirier seems to be losing interest in a lightweight rematch with Eddie Alvarez.

Earlier this week, it was reported that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was interested in booking a rematch between Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier at the upcoming UFC on FOX card in Calgary, Canada on July 28.

Alvarez and Poirier entertained fans in a technical, back-and-forth brawl at last year’s UFC 211 pay-per-view in Dallas, Texas – but the bout was controversially ruled a No Contest after ‘The Underground King’ landed a series of unintentional illegal knees to Poirier’s head in the second round.

Poirier has expressed interest in a rematch, but claims Alvarez turned down the fight on five separate occasions. Alvarez is currently embroiled in contract negotiations with the UFC and ‘The Diamond’ appears to be losing interest in a rematch.

Poirier sent out a tweet hinting that Alvarez had turned down yet another fight, and followed up with another a tweet calling for a lightweight title shot against newly-crowned champ, Khabib Nurmagomedov.

The 29-year-old also retweeted a fan calling for him to ditch the Alvarez fight in favor of pursuing a championship bout with Khabib.

Poirier, a former featherweight contender, impressed scores of fans with his fourth-round TKO of Justin Gaethje at UFC on FOX 29, rising to No. 4 in the official UFC lightweight rankings and establishing himself as a serious contender in the 155-pound shark tank.

The Louisianan holds wins over the likes of Gaethje, Anthony Pettis, Jim Miller and Max Holloway, and feels he’s next line for a title shot. Poirier claimed last month that team Khabib reached out to him and said there’s a ‘pretty good’ chance that he’s selected as Nurmagomedov’s next opponent.

Alvarez, however, believes he’s Nurmagomedov’s ‘kryptonite’ and has called for a title shot of his own. The former UFC and Bellator lightweight champ recently told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that he will not step foot in the Octagon until he’s ironed out a new contract with the UFC.




Source – link to original article