LOS ANGELES — Jon Jones wants to keep his battling within the Octagon.
For years, Jones and the UFC have had a tenuous relationship, dating back to when Jones wouldn’t fight a short-notice opponent at UFC 151 in 2012. The card had to be cancelled and UFC president Dana White went on a media conference call to essentially bury Jones and his coach Greg Jackson.
Jones said Tuesday at a UFC 200 media lunch, though, that his relationship with the UFC is mended and he wants to be more of a “company guy” in the future.
“We’re in a pretty good spot right now,” Jones said. “I’m ready to play the game. Obviously, I’ll always be a guy to try to stand up for what I think is right. I have no problem standing up to the UFC when it comes to anything that I feel is not right, speaking my mind and going against the grain. But I think at this point in my career I’m ready to choose my battles more wisely and not bicker about the small things. Before I used to disagree with doing certain media and all this type of stuff. These days I’m really trying to do better at choosing my battles wisely.”
Jones mentioned as recently as last year that the UFC 151 situation — and others — still bothered him. In 2012, Jones fought Vitor Belfort just weeks after the UFC found out Belfort had elevated testosterone levels in a drug test. The UFC let Belfort fight and never disciplined him. The revelation didn’t come out until Deadspin reported it last year.
Belfort was a known user of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), which was legal with a medical exemption at the time, but later banned outright by athletic commissions ….View full article
Source:: mma fighting