Luke Rockhold says he had to settle on a match up against David Branch.
Luke Rockhold will be making his return against the #9 ranked David Branch at UFC Fight Night 116. The former middlewight champion admitted that he didn’t have much interest in the match up, but just felt that his 1-year layoff has been long enough.
“Really what it comes down to is, I can’t wait anymore,” Rockhold told MMA Fighting. “I had the thought process of waiting for that fight. In June it was Anderson Silva in Rio, he wouldn’t take the fight. Then they moved onto Gegard Mousasi, couldn’t get him to sign the fight. I mean, I went to 205, to Shogun (Rua), to try to get (Fabricio) Werdum (at heavyweight). I’ve tried to get everybody I could possibly think about to get a fight that really got me up, but no one would take a fight, and now we’ve come down to David Branch was the only guy in the top-10 that would take a fight, from June to July to August to September, and it’s time.”
“I tried to get everything that made a bit of sense and no one would step up and fight,” Rockhold said. “Yoel wanted to delay and get a three-round fight as much as he could. We all know his issues with fighting a real fight.”
It didnt take long for the former two-division WSOF champ in Branch to reply, taking to social media with a video.
#Lucas @LukeRockhold on punk ass @arielhelwani show talkin that nonsense… Yeah aight. I’ll see you in my office I get the chicken pic.twitter.com/v1MyFK5UzF
— David Branch (@DavidcBranchMMA) August 7, 2017
“What the f—k is you talking about? Motherf—ker, I ain’t lost a bout in 5 f—king years!” Branch exclaimed. “You can’t box, and you’ve got no f—king chin. You’re getting in a cage with me? You stupid?
“I’m going to beat you like you stole something.”
Rockhold has not fought since he lost his middleweight title to Michael Bisping last year. Branch won his return UFC bout last May to extend his streak to 11 wins in a row.