Rocky Marciano Jr. believes the Conor McGregor fight should not be included in Floyd Mayweather’s professional boxing record.
The upcoming Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor fight has been branded many things: a farce, a freakshow, a mere money grab. Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum even says that Mayweather does not deserve the 50-0 record if he ends up victorious on August 26th.
If Mayweather does make 50-0 a reality, he would be surpassing the record of the late great Rocky Marciano, edging him by one win. But according to Rocky Jr., this “exhibition match” should not even be reflected on Mayweather’s professional record.
“No matter what happens, I don’t think it should go towards Mayweather’s professional career (record), win or lose. This fight to me isn’t a true boxing match,” Marciano Jr. told USA Today Sports.
Marciano Sr. fought at heavyweight throughout his eight-year professional career, and won 43 of his bouts by knockout. As Rocky Jr. pointed out, these accomplishments are a stark contrast to what Mayweather has done so far in a span of two decades.
“Heavyweights, most of them, hold the highest knockout percentage for a reason. They’re bigger, they’re stronger and one punch can take a heavyweight out,” Marciano Jr. said. “So it’s a lot more difficult to stay undefeated than it is for someone in the lower weight class, where it can be more of a type of match where you’re just outpointing your opponent.”
The 154-pound fight between Mayweather and McGregor is scheduled for 12 rounds on Saturday, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.