This week, Submission Radio chats with Chris Weidman, Stephen Thompson, Tyson Pedro and Tommy Toe Hold. Also, Damon Martin (FOX Sports) joins the roundtable to discuss MMA’s hot topics, and Duane Finley and Hunter Homistek (FloCombat) shre stories from their MMA road trip.
Submission Radio returns this week with another stacked episode, featuring interviews with Chris Weidman, Stephen Thompson, Tyson Pedro, Tommy Toe Hold, as well as FloCombat’s Duane Finley and Hunter Homistek. Also, Damon Martin (FOX Sports) returns to chat about the UFC’s middleweight division, Gastelum vs. Silva and more!
As always, the video above features clickable annotations and timestamps, and below is a rundown of what to expect on the episode. We hope you enjoy the show!
Chris Weidman makes his first appearance on Submission Radio (at the 1:43:40 mark) to talk about:
- His upcoming fight against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 210
- how he got over the loss to Yoel Romero at UFC 205
- if he sees this as his redemption fight being that it’s also in New York
- whether he was happy to take on such a tough opponent or if he wanted a tune-up fight
- his advantages on the feet and in grappling
- why he thinks he’ll break Mousasi
- his thoughts on the middleweight division and Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre
- if he feels sorry for Yoel Romero getting overlooked
- how strong GSP felt when they trained together and who he thinks will win
- if he would ever fight GSP or if the friendship would prohibit that fight
- Counter-Strike and his gaming obsession and his twitch channel
- street fights that he was in when he was young, and lots more!
Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson returns (at the 51:46 mark) to discuss:
- his loss to Tyron Woodley at UFC 209
- what he learned and took away from the fight
- why Tyron was able to tag him in the fifth round
- if he still believes he can beat Tyron and if he feels like he needs to fight him again to avenge the loss
- the criticism him and Tyron received for the performance
- if he’s concerned about the UFC being hesitant to book another rematch
- the injury that he suffered in the fight
- when he would like to fight again and who he sees as a potential opponent
- what he thinks it will take to get another title shot
- GSP potentially re-entering the welterweight division and fighting Tyron
- how this fight reflects on his journey and legacy
- his outlook on quitting, and more!
Australian UFC light heavyweight Tyson Pedro returns (at the 5:07 mark) to chat about:
- his win over Paul Craig at UFC 209
- why he feels like the Scotsman’s intense demeanor was put on
- the funny messages he got from fans and trolls
- being on the same card as Mark Hunt and Dan Kelly and watching their mixed success
- what it was like having Mike Winkeljohn in his corner
- if he’ll train at Jackson/Winkejohn’s full-time
- his thoughts on the UFC’s thin light heavyweight division and why he doesn’t know any fighters
- the holiday he took after the win
- his wife’s crazy time in Las Vegas
- if he’s interested in fighting on the UFC New Zealand card and more!
Tommy Toe Hold returns to the program (at the 21:39 mark) to not only give his takeaways from UFC Fortaleza, but also discuss his five-year-anniversary of making MMA cartoons! Tommy talks about:
- what it’s been like keeping his identity a secret for so long and if anybody’s ever figured it out
- what it’s like explaining what he does for a living to other people
- if it was easier to write jokes during the older period of the UFC
- what the actual process of putting together content is and if it’s scripted or improv
- how difficult it is to keep coming up with original content so frequently
- if he ever expected he’d be doing it for so long
- some of his favorite moments and videos
- his relationship with Dana White and being back on FOX sports, and more!
Duane Finley and Hunter Homistek of FloCombat stop by (at the 1:17:41 mark) to tell some stories from their massive MMA road trip and talk about:
- what it was like visiting such gyms as Alliance MMA, Jackson/Winkeljohn’s, Power MMA and others
- what it was like sparring with Cub Swanson and having their livers destroyed
- Cub’s underrated technical mind and why he could be an analyst like Dominick Cruz
- the dynamic between fighters like Cruz, Cat Zingano and Phil Davis
- Ryan Bader seeming happier since leaving the UFC
- Diego Sanchez’s intensity and the epic interview he gave
- Carlos Condit and what the future holds for the Natural Born Killer
- what it was like being on the road for so long and more!
Damon Martin (Fox Sports) returns (at the 2:04:45 mark) to discuss the big news of the week, as well as:
- the aftermath of UFC Fortaleza
- Edson Barboza’s stunning flying knee knockout over Beneil Dariush and where he belongs among the elite lightweights
- what’s next for Shogun Rua
- the UFC’s bleak light heavyweight division
- Vitor Belfort’s KO loss to Kelvin Gastelum and what this means for the aging Phenom
- Gastelum vs. Anderson Silva being booked for UFC 212
- what to do with Yoel Romero
- the rumors of T-Mobile Arena putting a holding date on June 10th for Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather, and more!
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @SubmissionAUS and interact with us, as we love chatting with you guys. You can also catch every episode of Submission Radio on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Soundcloud.
Subscribe to Submission Radio on Youtube