This week, Submission Radio chats with Urijah Faber, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Artem Lobov and John Gooden. Also, Simon Head returns to talk about Bellator 180, UFC london and UFC New Zealand.
Submission Radio is back for another week with a stacked episode, featuring interviews with Urijah Faber, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Artem Lobov and John Gooden. Also, Simon Head returns to the program to discuss Jimi Manuwa’s future, Chael vs. Wanderlei, Fedor vs. Mitrone and lots more!
As always, the video above features clickable annotations and timestamps, and below is a rundown of what to expect on the episode. We hope you enjoy the show!
“The California Kid“ Urijah Faber returns to Submission Radio (at the 1:35:57 mark) to chat about:
- Retired life since he wrapped up his legendary career in December
- What exciting projects he’s been working on
- The rumors of Paige VanZant leaving Team Alpha Male
- The Ultimate Fighter: Cody Garbrandt vs. TJ Dillshaw and what the tension on set has been like
- The incident where Cody grabbed TJ Dillashaw by the throat
- If it’s weird for him to see the two fighting given he used to train them both
- The infamous footage of Cody knocking out TJ in sparring and if it will ever be released
- His upcoming grappling match at Chael Sonnen’s Submission Underground
- If he misses competing in MMA and more!
UFC strawweight champion, Joanna Jedrzejczyk returns (at the 5:37 mark) to discuss:
- Her upcoming fight against Jessica Andrade at UFC 211 in Dallas, Texas
- Jessica’s high pressure, relentless style and how she compares to her past opponents like Claudia Gadelha and Valerie Letourneau
- What it was like training with her in the past
- Jessica’s comments about her having a weak chin
- If she feels like she’s almost cleaned out the division
- Beating Ronda Rousey’s record for most title defences and taking over her reign as the most dominant female champion
- How important it is for her to fight at flyweight and become a dual champion
- Being considered the #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world
- How much longer she might stick around and continue fighting, and more!
Artem Lobov makes his first appearance on Submission Radio (at the 31:21 mark) to discuss:
- His upcoming fight against Cub Swanson at UFC Nashville (Fight Night 108)
- His recent success and how he turned things around after entering the UFC on a two-fight skid
- Almost leaving the UFC to go fight in Russia
- Fighters steering their careers too carefully and not taking the biggest challenges
- If he regrets taking such tough fights early in his career
- Max Holloway and Jose Aldo and why he never would’ve accepted being handed the vacant featherweight belt
- Taking over for Conor McGregor in the featherwight division
- The hard sparring sessions between him and Conor being the toughest fights of his career
- McGregor vs Mayweather and why he sees McGregor stopping Mayweather
- Gunnar Nelson’s recent win over Alan Jouban
- Tyron Woodley’s complaints about racism and not being promoted enough, and lots more!
UFC play-by-play commentator John Gooden makes his first appearance on the program (at the 54:08 mark) and talks about:
- His commentary gig in the UFC
- All the production work he does behind the scenes
- What it’s like preparing for an event and how hard it is to unwind for days afterwards
- How him and Dan Hardy found their groove as a team
- His thoughts on the new three-man booth at PPV’s
- Him having to repeatedly apologise for fighters swearing during broadcasts
- Anderson Silva clowning around backstage during shoots
- Jimi Manuwa’s recent win and callout of David Haye
- Brad Pickett’s retirement
- If he prefers Lock Stock or Snatch
- Who would play him, his wife and Dan Hardy in a movie
- His Vegan business and more!
Fresh from covering UFC London for MMA Junkie, Simon Head joins the roundtable discussion (at the 1:57:15 mark) to chat about:
- What to do with Jimi Manuwa next in a crowded top-heavy light heavyweight division
- Brad Pickett’s retirement and legacy
- Where Gunnar Nelson’s latest win puts him
- Bellator 180: Sonnen vs. Wanderlei being announced for Madison Square Garden
- Mark Hunt vs. Derrick Lewis and Dan Kelly vs. Derek Brunson being slated for UFC New Zealand and more!
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @SubmissionAUS and interact with us, as we love chatting with you guys. You can also catch every episode of Submission Radio on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Soundcloud.
Subscribe to Submission Radio on Youtube