This week, Submission Radio chats with Luke Rockhold, Robert Whittaker, Gunnar Nelson and Jake Shields. Also, Damon Martin (FOX Sports) returns to discuss UFC on FOX 24, Tyron Woodley’s next opponent, rumors of Jon Jones and Cris Cyborg fighting at UFC 214, and more!
Submission Radio returns with a stacked show, featuring interviews with Luke Rockhold, Robert Whittaker, Gunnar Nelson and Jake Shields. Also, Damon Martin (FOX Sports) joins the roundtable discussion to break down all the current hot topics in MMA.
As always, the video above features clickable annotations and timestamps, and below is a rundown of what to expect on the episode. We hope you enjoy the show!
Luke Rockhold returns to the program (at the 1:12:27 mark) to talk about:
- His impending octagon return and his recovered knee finally working again
- Robert Whittaker’s win over Jacare Souza at UFC on FOX 24
- If Rockhold expected Whittaker to come so far in the division
- Why he wants to face Whittaker and how he sees himself beating the Australian
- Whether or not he’d want his next fight to be for an interim title
- GSP vs. Bisping still not having a set date and how it’s affecting the division
- If there’s still interest in facing Yoel Romero
- Being offered Anderson Silva at UFC 212 and why Anderson didn’t accept the fight
- Wanting to face Fabricio Werdum at heavyweight and how the beef with Fabricio originally started
- How he would beat Werdum
- How much of a factor the size difference would be and lots more!
Fresh off his win at UFC on FOX 24, Robert Whittaker returns to Submission Radio (at the 35:02 mark) to discuss:
- His big KO win over Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza at UFC Kansas City
- If there was anything that surprised him about Jacare
- What went through his mind during Jacare’s takedown attempts and when he dropped the Brazilian
- How he avoided being starstruck and if he spoke to Jacare backstage afterwards
- His thoughts on a possible fight with Luke Rockhold next
- If he’d be ready to fight at UFC 213
- If he may potentially sit out and wait for a title shot
- The current state of the middleweight division and the title being tied up
- How important it is for him to eventually get the Michael Bisping fight booked again after it fell through at UFC 193
- Being a role model and making Australians and New Zealanders proud and more!
Stoic fan-favourite, Gunnar Nelson returns to to the show (at the 5:59 mark) to reflect on his win over Alan Jouban at UFC London and discuss what’s next:
- The potential fight against Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson
- His thoughts on Thompson’s performance against Tyron Woodley at UFC 209
- If it gave him confidence that he could beat Wonderboy
- Tyron Woodley as a champion and if he could hold the belt long-term
- Who would win between Tyron Woodley and Demian Maia
- Where he feels he stands in the division and how important it is for him to climb the rankings
- Problems with getting opponents to accept fights with him
- The welterweight division being on notice and seeing him as a threat
- What he learned from the Jouban fight and why he felt different than ever before
- The idea of GSP moving back to welterweight and possibly facing him one day
- His Playstation addiction
- Playing Call of Duty online and meeting up with gamers in real life, and lots more!
Skrap Pack member and American Jiu Jitsu ace, Jake Shields returns to Submission Radio (at the 57:34 mark) to discuss:
- His upcoming grappling match against Dillon Danis at Submission Underground 4
- His thoughts on Danis’ vocal personality and how it’s rubbed people the wrong way
- Marcelo Garcia suspending Danis from his gym and if he feels like the grappling community is picking him to win
- The beef between the two dating back to the infamous UFC 202 pre-fight press conference
- Why Jake threw coffee at Dillon and if he actually hit him
- Dillon’s grappling skills and how he sees himself beating him
- His future in MMA and World Series of Fighting
- If he’d like to make up for last year and get some more MMA fights this year, and lots more!
Damon Martin of FOX Sports joins the roundtable (at the 1:31:45 mark) to discuss a variety of hot topics, including:
- The UFC on FOX 24 aftermath
- Robert Whittaker vs. Jacare Souza
- Michelle Waterson vs. Rose Namajunas
- Demetrious Johnson vs. Wilson Reis
- What’s next for Mighty Mouse and if super fights against Cody Garbrandt or TJ Dillashaw make sense
- The low ratings from UFC on FOX 24 and if that will affect Demetrious’ UFC future
- Tyron Woodley announcing that he started training camp and who his opponent could be
- Jon Jones being offered a fight at UFC 214 and if he should fight Daniel Cormier or take a tune-up fight
- Rumors of Cris Cyborg fighting at UFC 214
- Predictions for Cub Swanson vs. Artem Lobov.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @SubmissionAUS and interact with us, as we love chatting with you guys. You can also catch every episode of Submission Radio on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Soundcloud.
Subscribe to Submission Radio on Youtube