This week, Submission Radio chats with Stephen Thompson, Lorenz Larkin and coach Mike Winkeljohn. Damon Martin (FOX Sports) joins the roundtable and discusses UFC 212, Demetrious Johnson vs. the UFC, and previews UFC Auckland.
Submission Radio returns with a fun show, featuring interviews with Stephen Thompson, Lorenz Larkin and famed coach Mike Winkeljohn. Also, Damon Martin of FOX Sports returns to the roundtable to break down the aftermath from UFC 212, Demetrious Johnson’s frustrations and the UFC’s mistreatment of the flyweight champion, as well as a preview of UFC Auckland.
As always, the video above features clickable annotations and timestamps, and below is a rundown of what to expect on the episode. We hope you enjoy the show!
Stephen “Wonderboy“ Thompson returns (at the 53:01 mark) to discuss:
- His recent trip to Brazil and how he ended up eating the best Italian food in Sao Paulo
- Max Holloway beating Jose Aldo and if Frankie Edgar could beat Max Holloway
- The controversies from the UFC athletes retreat
- Seeing Cris Cyborg punch Angela Magana first-hand
- The infamous ‘drunk’ Budweiser speaker
- His knee injury and when he’s targeting his octagon return
- Who he wants to face as his next opponent
- Verbally agreeing to fight Jorge Masvidal
- Being away from the spotlight after his two title fights
- Who deserves the next title shot
- Demian Maia vs. Tyron Woodley and who would win
- Georges St-Pierre possibly returning to welterweight and if he could beat Woodley
- What would happen if he had to face his friend GSP for the title
- His thoughts on the Power Rangers and the Wonder Woman movies, and more!
Recent Bellator signee Lorenz “Da Monsoon“ Larkin makes his first appearance on Submission Radio (at the 3:29 mark) to talk about:
- His title fight against Douglas Lima at Bellator 180
- His reaction to getting the call to finally fight for a world title after all these years and fighting in so many weigh classes
- The differences between dealing with Dana White and Scott Coker
- Demetrious Johnson’s current issues with the UFC
- Having his own sponsors and what it’s like not to have to wear Reebok anymore
- Customizing his entrance and being marketed as an individual
- Rory MacDonald talking trash and why he wants to shut him up
- How he matches up against Lima
- Growing up as a WWE fan, the Ultimate Warrior
- Teaching pornstars MMA moves and more!
Coach Mike Winkeljohn returns to the program (at the 27:03 mark) to talk about:
- Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2
- The trash talk and mental warfare between the two rivals
- Whether anything will prevent Jon from making it to the fight
- Jon openly talking about his partying past and doing cocaine prior to the first fight
- If the fight will play out similarly to the first one
- What kind of weight Jon is aiming for and if he’s still powerlifting
- Jimi Manuwa or Alexander Gustafsson as Jon’s next fight
- Jones’ future heavyweight plans
- Holly Holm facing Bethe Correia
- Germaine de Randamie refusing to face Cris Cyborg
- If Holly Holm would return to featherweight and face Cyborg
- Donald Cerrone vs. Robbie Lawler at UFC 213
- Derek Brunson vs. Dan Kelly and more!
Damon Martin (FOX Sports) returns to another roundtable discussion (at the 1:20:19 mark) to talk about:
- The aftermath from UFC 212: Aldo vs. Holloway
- Where Claudia Gadelha sits in the division after her win over Karolina Kowalkiewicz
- Max Holloway beating Jose Aldo and what it does to Aldo’s legacy
- How close Holloway is to being the 145-pound GOAT
- What losses to McGregor does to both men
- Demetrious Johnson’s frustration with the UFC forcing him to fight TJ Dillashaw
- Dana White threatening to fold the flyweight division
- UFC New Zealand and more!
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @SubmissionAUS and interact with us, as we love chatting with you guys. You can also catch every episode of Submission Radio on iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Soundcloud.
Subscribe to Submission Radio on Youtube