2018 was an interesting year for combat sports. We had the biggest UFC card in the history of the promotion, plenty of proof that the “boxing is dead” beliefs are highly unfounded, and a whole lot in between.
Here at Bloody Elbow, we did our best to cover everything we could. And to give you a glimpse at what drew the best, here’s a little list of our top 20 articles of the year from a page view standpoint.
There are a couple of things that should be noted. The first is that we didn’t include any play-by-plays or UFC event highlight videos in the list. They do draw a lot of traffic, but the list would be pretty boring if 85% of it was just that sort of thing. So we took them out to focus on what else drew last year.
The second is that while the list is obviously heavy on Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov, we’re proud of the fact that a wide variety of things we do here made the top 20. From Wing Chun vs. MMA to features by Karim Zidan to boxing videos to a Bellator post, our traffic was spread around in some interesting ways.
Without further ado, here’s the list.
- Video: MMA fighters batter Wing Chun Masters in China
- Video: This KO by Dillian Whyte was so violent that Sky Sports wouldn’t show a replay
- All the Champion’s Men: A look at the shady figures linked to UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov
- UFC 223 Video: Khabib Nurmagomedov and Artem Lobov in altercation in Brooklyn hotel
- Conor McGregor issues statement after UFC 229 loss to Khabib, calls for rematch
- Video: This is what Khabib was telling Conor McGregor while beating him up at UFC 229
- Georges St-Pierre responds to Khabib Nurmagomedov’s UFC 223 call out
- Nick Diaz believes he could beat Khabib, says Conor McGregor didn’t look himself at UFC 229
- Conor and the Cartel: A look at the shady figures linked to UFC megastar & former ‘double champ’ Conor McGregor
- UFC’s illegal knee controversy: Emmett to appeal loss, Stephens misunderstood the rules, Faber blasts Cruz
- Video: HBO Boxing’s main event featured a suspicious jar and a bizarre delayed reaction KO
- Fighter who attacked McGregor at UFC 229 brags about it on social media
- UFC 229 opinion: Justice was served, Conor McGregor got what he deserved
- Former UFC champ Cody Garbrandt on controversial tweets: ‘I was a teenager’
- Cynthia Calvillo says towel was ‘too low’ at weigh-in: I didn’t want to give everyone a ‘free show’
- Khabib responds to McGregor’s lengthy Instagram post: ‘It’s only business’
- Kajan Johnson expected UFC release after Moscow win or lose: ‘I’m not Conor McGregor’
- Dana White: Conor McGregor ‘upset’ about loss to Khabib, doesn’t care about the brawl at UFC 229
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk on UFC 223 loss to Rose Namajunas: Dana White was ‘disgusted’ by the decision
- Matt Mitrione has ‘lost all respect’ for Roy Nelson after ‘cheating’ at Bellator 194