Stephie Haynes talks to Al Iaquinta about his new multi-fight deal, upcoming UFC 223 bout, thoughts on Conor McGregor, Nick Diaz, Kevin Lee; being financially stable enough to play hardball in UFC negotiations and more.
Welcome to this special episode of the Three Amigos Podcast with featured guest, UFC lightweight standout Al Iaquinta. Al spoke with Stephie Haynes on a variety of topics yesterday afternoon regarding his return to the Octagon after ironing out a lucrative new deal with the UFC.
Ordered Listing of Topics:
Here is a summary of the topics discussed during the 23-minute interview. As always, we hope you enjoy listening to the show as much as we enjoyed recording it.
- Why he calls his UFC 223 scheduled bout a “streetfight in Brooklyn”
- How contract negotiations went with UFC brass
- If performance bonuses were ever part of the negotiations for his new deal
- Having the leverage to play hardball when ironing out his new contract
- If he feels the UFC is looking to give him a boost as a fresh, promotable face
- Why he’s looking at his 4-fight deal as a 1-fight deal
- Thoughts on Paul Felder as his likely opponent
- How Aljamain Sterling has been preparing for his future in similar fashion through real estate and other outside avenues
- His belief in cross training at other gyms outside the Serra/Longo team
- What his relationship with the UFC is like
- Thoughts on Conor McGregor holding the division up
- How he thinks the Ferguson/Nurmagomedov fight will play out
- His take on the return of Nate Diaz
- Frustration with the UFC’s decision to give a big promotional push to Kevin Lee
- Cynthia Calvillo’s marijuana metabolites USADA flag and provisional suspension
- What he thinks of the “Iaquinta Realty” parody account
You can check out the entire show here. Remember, if you’re looking for us on SoundCloud or iTunes, we’re under the MMA Nation name. Follow our Twitter accounts: Stephie Haynes, Three Amigos Podcast, Iain Kidd and Mookie Alexander or our Facebook fan page, Three Amigos Pod.