With little muss or fuss, light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has scrapped his old UFC contract for a new eight-fight deal that makes him very happy.
Cormier met with CEO Lorenzo Fertitta and company president Dana White last week to talk about his future with the company, and it appears that everything went well for the champion. Cormier told MMAJunkie Radio on Monday that he had four fights left on his previous contract heading into the meeting, but left with the new deal that will likely keep him in the UFC for the remainder of his career.
“I was like, ‘This is what I feel like we deserve as a guy that’s done everything he’s supposed to and carried himself like a professional athlete should carry himself,’ and they said, ‘You know what, you’re right,’ and they pretty much just gave it to me, which is awesome,” said the 36-year-old champion.
Cormier didn’t reveal any financial particulars, but reiterated that he intends to fight returning former champion Jon Jones in his next bout, though questions still remain about when and where that fight will happen.