Max Holloway can’t wait to prove the doubters wrong in his championship rematch with Jose Aldo at UFC 218.
Although Max Holloway is on one of the best win streaks in the sport and became the second man to beat Jose Aldo in the Octagon, some fans still doubt his future as UFC featherweight champion.
Holloway, 25, battered and finished ‘Scarface’ in the third round of their featherweight title unification bout at UFC 212, but many pundits feel Aldo was getting the better of the exchanges until ‘Blessed’ dropped him in the third.
Holloway, who has won eleven straight fights, can’t wait to show he’s the best by beating Aldo in the immediate rematch at UFC 218.
“Our first fight, I don’t know what people are watching, but some say I was losing until I dropped him in the third,” Holloway told Brett Okamoto of ESPN in a recent interview. “Those must be some hardcore Aldo fans. But, he’s been one of the best guys for years, so to show I’m the best in back-to-back fights, sign me up.”
Holloway was originally scheduled to defend his 145-pound title against former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, but ‘The Answer’ pulled out of the bout last week due to injury.
Although the UFC settled with Holloway vs. Aldo II, Holloway says he was ready to defend his belt against anyone.
“I heard a lot of names — Cub Swanson, Ricardo Lamas, Brian Ortega, Darren Elkins, Tony Ferguson, Conor McGregor,” he said. “I told them I didn’t care. They already know I don’t care. All I ask is to send me a contract.”
The featherweight championship rematch between Holloway and Aldo will headline the upcoming UFC 218 pay-per-view on December 2 at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Michigan.