Stipe Miocic rips heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua on social media.
Boxing vs. MMA is all the rage at the moment. That, of course, due to the bombshell announcement of Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather in a 12-round boxing match at the T-Mobile Arena on August 26.
Since the official announcement last Wednesday, several UFC fighters campaigned for boxing-MMA crossover fights on the undercard.
Amongst them, UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic, who called out British boxing heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua for a ‘tussle’ followed by some ‘tea and crumpets’ afterwards.
Hey @anthonyfjoshua let’s have a proper tussle and still have time for tea and crumpets before the main event! #MayweatherMcGregor
— Stipe Miocic (@stipemiocicufc) June 14, 2017
Joshua, who beat Wladimir Klitschko via TKO earlier this year, responded to Miocic and an article from the International Business Times with the perfect comeback.
Anthony Joshua just no-sold Stipe Miocic’s proposal for a boxing match. pic.twitter.com/EsKOF4uc5V
— Mike Bohn (@MikeBohnMMA) June 15, 2017
Miocic, who battered Junior dos Santos at UFC 211 last month to retain the heavyweight title, made his own savvy comeback to Joshua on Monday.
. @anthonyfjoshua “This guy” is the universally recognized as the baddest man on the planet. You aren’t even the baddest man in the UK.
— Stipe Miocic (@stipemiocicufc) June 19, 2017
Whilst both fighters would probably be interested in throwing down in the boxing ring, Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour that Mayweather vs. McGregor will feature no crossover fights on the undercard.
“This will be 100% pure boxers in the show,” Ellerbe said.
Mayweather vs. McGregor, which will net McGregor the biggest payday of his career, takes place on August 26 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.