Photo by Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
It has been said, perhaps ad nauseam, that a showdown between middleweight champions Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Álvarez is one of the biggest fights in boxing. But with Golovkin making his next defense against Dominic Wade this Saturday, and Álvarez doing the same against Amir Khan a fortnight later, there has of course been a lot of media speculation of the two facing one another after their respective bouts. Multiple parties involved in the fight, from sanctioning bodies to promotional entities to the fighters themselves, have chimed in on the matter in the last week, and the opinions are mixed.
First is WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman who released a statement earlier this week urging everyone to simply stop talking about the potential matchup, citing that any further speculation would be disrespectful to their upcoming opponents.
“I think it would be disrespectful [to speculate on whether or not this fight will happen], especially for the opponents of Golovkin and Canelo. I think these are dangerous fights. They are scheduled to fight and until we know the results of April 23 and May 7, respectively, then we can decide what the fighters are planning to do,” said Sulaiman. “Once we get past the results of those fights, we are going to meet the promoters to find out what their intentions are, if they are actually planning to fight in December as they are saying, but for now we will not disrespect them or their opponents.”
On the one hand, I completely understand where Sulaiman is coming from. Being Khan or Wade in this situation would be imaginably frustrating and annoying since all the speculation regarding the super-fight is entirely dependent on them losing their upcoming fight, which is essentially discounting their value as a fighter. I can ….View full article